It doesn't matter if your new horse is destined to be a prize-winning racehorse or a cherished pet. They deserve a regal name. And if you're a big fan of the British royal family, you have even more reason to pick a royal name for your horse. From classics like Diana and King to more unusual names, like Carrozza, who was one of Queen Elizabeth II's favorite racehorses, we've handpicked 100 of the best regal horse names you can find.
Female Horse Names for Royal Mares
Female names that translate to "queen" or other terms of nobility would make a great royal name for a horse. We've included the translations, so you know exactly what each name means.
- Erica - a Norse name meaning "eternal ruler"
- Juno - means "queen of heaven"
- Meredith - a Welsh name that means "great ruler"
- Queenie - diminutive for "queen"
- Regina - a Latin word that translates to "queen"
- Rhiannon - means "divine queen" in Welsh
- Sadie - means "princess"
- Sarah - a Hebrew name that translates to "princess"
Most Royal Male Horse Names
A handsome male horse deserves a name fit for a king. These incredible monikers translate to "king" or "ruler," so they'd be a perfect match.
- Derek - means "gifted ruler"
- Kendrick - translates to "royal ruler"
- Kingsley - means "king's meadow"
- Laszlo - a Hungarian name that means "glorious ruler"
- Malik - an Arabic name for "king"
- Rex - translates to "king" in Latin
- Richard - translates to "ruler"
- Ryan - means "little king"
All the Queen's Horses' Names
You might not know this, but Queen Elizabeth II was an accomplished equestrian who owned and even raced several thoroughbred horses. She won Champion Owner (which just means her horses won the most prize money during a single season) not once, but twice! Some of Queen Elizabeth II's most cherished and decorated horses have some unique names. Why not name your horse after one?
- Balmoral Jingle
- Hopeful Venture
- Magna Carta
- Pall Mall
- Phantom Gold
Horse Names After the Royal Family
The British royal family isn't just royalty; they're celebrities. And if you've watched every televised royal wedding, coronation, or funeral, we're right there with you. The names of the current and recent royal family are filled with history and whimsy, so it's a great bet to give your aristocratic horse a name after one of these noble people.
- Alexandra - means "protector of man"
- Andrew - means "strong"
- Anne- translates to "grace"
- Archie - translates to "brave" or "bold"
- Beatrice - Latin word for "voyager"
- Birgitte - a name that translates to "exalted one"
- Camilla - means "noble"
- Catherine - means "pure"
- Charles - an English word for "free man"
- Charlotte - the feminine form of Charles
- Diana - translates to "divine"
- Edward - an Old English name meaning "rich guard"
- Elizabeth - a Hebrew name meaning "God is my oath"
- Eugenia - means "nobility"
- George - a Greek word for "earth worker"
- Harry - another version of Henry which means "home ruler"
- Lilibet - a Hebrew name that translates to "God is my oath"
- Louis - a French name for "famous warrior"
- Meghan - means "strong and capable"
- Philip - a Greek name meaning "friend of horses"
- Richard - means "powerful"
- Sophie - translates to "wisdom"
- William - an English word for "protector"
Not only is Phillip a royal name, but it translates to "friend of horses." Um, is that not a perfect name for your majestic steed?!
Horse Names Inspired by Aristocratic Terms
Horse names can be pretty lengthy, especially if your horse has a long and significant lineage. If you want everyone at the barn to know your horsy is (or just acts like) royalty, you could give them a short barn name that embodies something royal, like Monarch or Castle. Or why not combine several names to create something fun, like Prince Buckingham, His Majesty of Sugar Cubes? The options are endless.
Regal Horse Names Based on Fictional Royalty
Do you love cinema and television? Whether you have a palomino or a paint horse, there are tons of fictional royalty that would make great namesakes for a royal horse.
- Aladdin (Aladdin)
- Anakin (Star Wars)
- Anna (Frozen)
- Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
- Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
- Colin (Bridgerton)
- Daenerys (Game of Thrones)
- Daphne (Bridgerton)
- Eloise (Bridgerton)
- Elsa (Frozen)
- Jasmine (Aladdin)
- Khaleesi (Game of Thrones)
- Lady Whistledown (Bridgerton)
- Mufasa (The Lion King)
- Nala (The Lion King)
- Prince Lir (The Last Unicorn)
- Princess Leia (Star Wars)
- Simba (The Lion King)
- Simon (Bridgerton)
- Triton (The Little Mermaid)
Pick a Horse Name Based on Their Personality
Because horses live upward of 30 years or more, you're going to be saying this special name for several decades. And even after your horse is gone, their name will remain close to your heart indefinitely. Pick a name that embodies their personality, appearance, and the unique bond you share. And if the name of your favorite royal family member fulfills them all, well, that's a great bonus!