If you've just purchased or adopted a black horse, you may be wondering how to pick a great name that works perfectly for them. Finding black horse names that capture the beauty, elegance, and striking nature of your horse can take some time, but you're sure to land on one that you love.
Black Horse Names
When naming your horse, keep in mind:
- Stable names are typically one or two words- something easy for others to remember.
- It's okay if your horse has a different show name, stable name, and registered name in most cases.
- Show names are typically more elegant names that may be two or more words long.
Names for Black Horses Female (Mares and Fillies)
Black horse names for mares and fillies include:
- Black Widow
- Black Diamond
- Black Pearl
Black Horse Names for Stallions and Geldings
Black horse names for stallions and geldings include:
Names of Famous Black Horses
Some famous black horses:
- Ruffian- famous racehorse
- Midnight Sun- 2 time World Grand Champion winner
- Burmese- Queen Elizabeth II's horse
- Black Hawk Morgan- famous Morgan breed horse
- Bucephalus- Alexander the Great's horse
- Black Beauty- novel by Anna Sewell
- Black Gold- Kentucky Derby winner
Best Names for Black Horses
Some great name options for black horses include:
- New Moon
- Crescent Moon
- Dusk to Dawn
- Black Magic
- Starry Night
- Night Rain
- Fade to Black
Gender Neutral Black Horse Names
Whether you have a mare, gelding, or stallion, these names could all be potential options for your new horse:
- Witching Hour
- Hot Chocolate
- Black Sea
What Is the Best Horse Name?
Popular and famous horse names are sometimes considered the best horse names, as they reference well known and talented horses.
What Are Some Unique Horse Names?
If you're looking for a name as one of a kind as your horse, you may want to name them a unique horse name.
What Is a Good Name for a Black Horse?
While it can feel overwhelming trying to find the perfect name for your new black horse, there are plenty of great options to choose from. Remember that if you plan on competing, you may need to follow certain regulations regarding what to call your horse, however, you have total freedom when it comes to picking your horse's barn name.