Birds inspire us to fly, be free, and more, so it's no surprise that people throughout history have given us some great bird quotes. These quotes show us the joy birds bring, from their songs to their wake-up calls. They show why we love these creatures so much. It doesn't matter if the words come from a bird expert or someone who just likes to watch them; each quote gives us a glimpse into why birds have always been so special to us.
Bird Quotes by Famous People
It's no wonder that these feathered beauties have inspired countless poets, thinkers, and dreamers throughout time. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from people you've definitely heard of.
- “Birds fly over the rainbow. Why then, oh, why can’t I?” – Judy Garland
- "A peacock that rests on its feathers is just another turkey." – Dolly Parton
- “I think penguins are the most human of all the birds, which may be why people love them. They’re cute, they stand upright and they look like they’re wearing tuxedos.” – Shia LeBeouf
Everyone likes birds. What wild creature is more accessible to our eyes and ears, as close to us and everyone in the world, as universal as a bird? -David Attenborough
- “May my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living” – E. E. Cummings
- “I’d rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance.” – E. E. Cummings
- “Tomorrow, the birds will sing. Be brave. Face life.” – Charlie Chaplin
- “Until you spread your wings; you’ll have no idea how far you can fly.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
- “The bluebird carries the sky on his back.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Tame birds sing of freedom. Wild birds fly.” – John Lennon
- "Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble." – Roger Tory Peterson
“For in truth, the turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America. [...] He is besides, (though a little vain and silly ’tis true, but not the worse emblem for that) a bird of courage, and would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British guards who should presume to invade his farm yard with a red coat on.” - Benjamin Franklin
Inspirational Bird Quotes
Taking a moment to really look at birds, to see their stunning looks and tough spirit, is like peeking into nature’s very soul. There’s a whole lot we can learn from the nature of the birds around us.
- "The bird is powered by its own life and by its motivation." – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- "No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings." – William Blake
- "In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." – Robert Lynd
- "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." – Maya Angelou
- "The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings." – J.M. Barrie
- “I once asked a bird, how is it that you fly in this gravity of darkness? She responded, ‘love lifts me.’” – Hafez
- “Wherever there are birds, there is hope.” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
- “If birds can glide for long periods of time, then why can’t I?” – Orville Wright
- "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." – Victor Hugo
- "Birds teach us something very important: To whatever height you rise, you will finally come down to the ground!" – Mehmet Murat Ildan
- "All birds find shelter during a rain. But the eagle avoids rain by flying above the clouds." — A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
Funny Bird Quotes
Birds definitely have their goofy moments. Every now and then, they can be spotted doing the most unexpected and hilarious things, like chasing their own reflections or performing playful aerobatics in the air. Their playful antics have inspired plenty of silly quotes. Here are a few of my favs.
- "Why do birds fly south for the winter? Because it's too far to walk." – Unknown
- "Why don’t birds follow GPS? They prefer to wing it." – Unknown
- “I’m a bird, I can’t help my flappy ways.” – Unknown
- “I’m so busy, I have a nest egg.” – Unknown
- "Why did the little bird get in trouble at school? Because he was caught tweeting on a test." – Unknown
"How do crows stick together in a flock? Velcrow." – Unknown
Quotes About Bird Watching
Even if bird watching isn't your cup of tea, there's something special about taking a few minutes to appreciate their beauty. If you're an avid birding enthusiast, you're in on the secret — birds have a whole world of neat habits, funny little ways, and movements that are a treat to observe.
- “Nothing in the world is quite as adorably lovely as a robin when he shows off — and they are nearly always doing it.” – Frances Hodgson Burnett
- “Feed the birds in winter; in return, they will feed your soul with the look of gratitude!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
- “If you want to see birds, you must have birds in your heart.” – John Burroughs
- "Bird watching is a lifelong ticket to the theater of nature." – Sharon Sorenson
- "To a bird watcher, every twitch means something." – John Buxton
- "Birding is the wildness that we can have right at home." - Lyanda Lynn Haupt
- "Watching a bird is like observing a small miracle." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Quotes About Caged Birds
Birds need to fly and be with others to be happy. They love to move around freely and be social. When birds can fly and hang out with their friends, whether human or their own kind, it's good for their body and mind.
- "We think caged birds sing when indeed they cry." – John Webster
- “Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild." –Stephen King
- "Caged birds accept each other but flight is what they long for." – Tennessee Williams
- “Birds are sky-bound; holding them down in a cage is wicked love.” – Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
- “Not humans, but birds often witness the most beautiful mornings in this world!” – Mehmet Murat İldan
- "Birds born in cages think that flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky
Sweet Bird Quotes
From the gentle sounds of doves to the fancy chirping of warblers, birds have all sorts of ways to chat and live together. Watching and hearing them helps us remember how special and peaceful the natural world is.
- “I pray to the birds because they remind me of what I love rather than what I fear. And at the end of my prayers, they teach me how to listen.” – Terry Tempest Williams
- “The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind.” – Carly Simon
- “You’ll have a lot more respect for a bird after you try making a nest.” – Cynthia Lewis
- “A bird is joy incarnate.” – Myrtle Reed
- “Birds learn how to fly, never knowing where the flight will take them.” – Mark Nepo
- “The reason birds can fly and we can’t is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.” – J.M. Barrie
- "Birds are the first and the simplest connection that humans can have to nature." — Graeme Gibson
- "When birds burble and chip, it's not idle chatter. They're doing the vital business of the earth. They're singing the world into existence." — L. R. Knost
Hit the Pause Button
Birds are like nature's way of telling us to hit the pause button and just gaze up at that big ol' sky for a while. Waking up to their songs at sunrise or watching them glide through the air is like a dose of chill. And they're not just about the flying; they're like little emblems of hope and all the untamed stuff that's in our hearts.