Ferrets are a popular small pet and it's easy to see why once you meet one in person. They're cute, loving, and their playful antics will leave you endlessly entertained. It's easy to name them if you look at their core qualities for a source of naming ideas.
Cute Ferret Names Based on Their Behaviors
Ferrets are known for some common behaviors, such as exuberant play, quickness, and a highly intelligent and mischievous nature. They can also be quite cuddly and outgoing with their human owners. Ferrets are also known for being fascinated with objects, particularly shiny ones, and ferret owners can attest to what crafty little thieves they are.
- Aleshanee (a-lesh-ah-nee) - Indigenous Coos name that means "she always plays"
- Arvan (ar-van) - Hindu name that means "fast" or "one of the moon's horses"
- Chaka (sha-kah) - Arabic/Hebrew name that means "energy" or "life"
- Chi (chee) - Chinese name that means "younger energy"
- Fetch - You can teach a ferret to fetch during play!
- Kineta (ken-et-ah) - Greek name that means "full of energy"
- Lalana (lah-lan-ah) - Hindu name that means "playing"
- Parkour (par-core)
- Prem (prehm) - Hindu name that means "affection"
Adorable Ferret Names From Ferret Colors
Ferrets typically can be found with hair coat colors of black, black sable, champagne, chocolate, cinnamon, sable, white, or a combination of those colors. They also tend to have colors distributed throughout their bodies with patches or mottled and speckled areas. Some also come with a cute "mask" over their eye area.
- Alba (al-ba) - a Scottish name that means "white"
- Aslan (az-lan) - means "lion" in Turkish and also a character in the Chronicles of Narnia books/movies
- Amber - a golden-colored gemstone
- Aurelia (ow-reh-lee-a) or Aurelius (ow-reh-lee-us) - A Roman name that means "golden"
- Bollinger - after the Champagne company
- Bruno - a German name that means "brown"
- Fiona - a Gaelic name that means "white" or "fair"
- Hari (har-ee) - means "tawny" or "lion" in Hindu
- Hazel - a brown type of nut
- Hershey - after the chocolate company
- Melanie - a Greek name that means "black"
- Midnight - to represent a dark night
- Oreo - for a black and white ferret
- Orianna (ohr-ee-ahn-ah) - a Latin name that means "golden dawn"
- Orla (ohr-lah) - a Gaelic name that means "golden princess"
- Raven - after the black bird
- Rusty - a reddish brown color
- Sable - a naturally occurring color in ferrets
- Saffron - a yellowish spice
- Sienna - a reddish-brown color
- Umber - a dark brown color
Good Ferret Names for Ferret Pairs and Trios
Since ferrets are very social and need companionship, it's common for owners to keep at least two, if not more. If you need to name more than one ferret, these sets of names will work well.
- Alvin, Simon, and Theodore (Alvin and the Chipmunks)
- Athos, Porthos, and Aramis (The Three Musketeers)
- Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup (The Powerpuff Girls)
- Bonnie and Clyde (famous villains)
- Calvin and Hobbes (comic strip of the same name)
- Han and Chewie (Star Wars)
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione (Harry Potter)
- Holmes and Watson (from the Sherlock Holmes stories)
- Homer and Marge (The Simpsons)
- Marshmallow and Lilypad (How I Met Your Mother)
- Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Minnie (Walt Disney characters)
- Moët & Chandon (after the Champagne company if you have two ferrets of that coloring)
- Podo and Kodo (the two ferrets from the movie Beast Master)
- Shaggy and Scooby Doo (from the Scooby Doo cartoons)
- Snap, Crackle, and Pop (from Rice Krispies cereal)
- Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward (from Spongebob Squarepants)
- Woody and Buzz (Toy Story movies)
Fun Ferret Names From Mythology and Culture
Ferrets, as well as other mustelids, such as minks, otters, stoats, and weasels, are featured in mythology and popular culture. They may not all be ferrets, but they share common behaviors and looks and make for excellent ferret names. There are also names from mythology that may not specifically be ferrets, but exemplify their trickster and mischievous behaviors.
- Bluejay - A trickster character in Indigenous Chinook mythology
- Buck - from the movie Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- Coyote - A trickster character in many Indigenous tribes' mythologies
- Cyrano - from the movie Starship Troopers
- Ewok - these creatures in the Star Wars film keep ferrets as pets
- Gwin - from the book/movie Inkheart
- Hermes (hehr-miz) - Greek messenger god who is also the patron of thieves
- Jink - from the Inkheart books
- Kamaitachi (kah-may-ta-chee) - from Japanese mythology, a mustelid-like demon that moves inside a whirlwind
- Loki (low-kee) - The Norse trickster god and also a popular character in the Marvel universe of movies and comics
- Mercury - The Roman version of the Greek god Hermes
- Michabou (mih-shah-boze) - A trickster character in Indigenous Algonquin legends
- Minerva - from the Animaniacs cartoon
- Mr. 13 - from the manga and anime, One Piece
- Nerugui (nehr-u-gwee) - from the anime and manga Naruto
- Otak - from the book A Wizard of Earthsea
- Pan, short for Pantalaimon - from His Dark Materials books
- Puck - a mischievous character in Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night's Dream
- Ramidreju - from Cantabrian mythology in parts of Spain, a mustelid-like creature
- Rikki Tikki Tavi - Rudyard Kipling's children's book
- Rodolfo - from the movie Along Came Polly
- Romsca - from the book Redwall
- Scorch - from the 101 Dalmatians television show
- Shackleford - from the movie Clifford's Really Big Movie
- Shellington - from The Octonauts cartoon
Names for Fragrant Ferrets
There's no denying ferrets have a special ... odor. This musky scent is due to scent glands in their skin. You can play off this unique characteristic to create some fun, fragrant ferret names.
- Pepe Le Pew
Naming Your New Ferret Friend
When it comes to bringing your own ferrets home and naming them, you can go the traditional route with some cute, simple names or look at their individual personalities and characteristics for name inspiration. You may want to spend some time watching your new ferret, or ferrets, to get an idea of what they're really like before choosing a name that matches them best.