There's no shortage of good bearded dragon names. You can find dozens of cute name ideas for your new beardie based on their personality, looks, and color. You can even choose a fun theme name. From "Biscuit" to "Chuck Norris," this list of bearded dragon names will help you find the perfect moniker for your scaled friend.
Personality-based Names for Bearded Dragons
Bearded dragons make excellent pets. They have an even temperament, cute appearance, and many bond closely with their owners. They also have some unique behaviors that can help you come up with a name. For example, these lizards are known to sit still with their mouths hanging open. The action helps them stay cool, but the behavior lends itself to a name like "Dopey" or "Slobbers."
They also tend to sway on their legs to communicate with other lizards. In groups, they form a hierarchy where the largest lizard is the leader. Here are some name ideas based on the personality and behavior traits of bearded dragons:
- Dizzy - For the swaying
- Houdini - For the escape artist
- Mr. Cuddles
- Boss - For the leader of the pack
Good Names for Dragons Based on Appearance
Bearded dragons have a definite unique look. From their physical features, such as looking like they have a beard, to the various colors and special features an individual dragon might have, you'll find inspiration for any number of fun names.
- Captain Bluebeard
- Five O'clock Shadow
- Mutton Chops
Bearded Dragon Color
The Pogona, which is the most common bearded dragon to have as a pet, ranges in color from tan to yellow. Breeders have even managed to create some strains with reds, violets, and pale orange. However, this dragon also has the ability to change colors like a chameleon.
Special Dragon Features
- Scarface - If the dragon has any scarring
- Stumpy - If a portion of the tail is missing, since these lizards are agamids and cannot regrow their tails
- Pinocchio - For a lizard with a longer snout than normal
- Waddles - For an overweight bearded dragon
- Tripod - If they are missing a leg
- Fork - If the tongue is pronounced
- Bugsy - If they have buggy eyes
- Lucky - For a lizard that has been ill or in a bad fight and survived
- Oscar the Grouch - For a lizard that looks grouchy or flares their beard a lot
- Flare - For one that has a wide flare
- Claw - For a beardie who has scratchy nails
Names for Bearded Dragons Based on Size
- Tiny Tim
- Half Pint
Australian Bearded Dragon Names
Wild bearded dragons are native to Australia, so it can be fun to use their origin for name inspiration. There are many choices when it comes to Australian names for your bearded dragon. You could choose a famous Australian, a place of interest, cultural items, or even an Aboriginal name.
- Nicole Kidman
- Ngarrang - Aboriginal word for bearded dragon
- Gan - Aboriginal word for reptile
- Reef - After the Great Barrier Reef
Famous Lizard and Dragon Names
Name your bearded dragon after a famous creature from movies, literature, or even cartoons, such as the cartoon bearded dragon in Mulan.
- Sleestak - Reptile-like creatures from Land of the Lost
- Devon and Cornwall - Two-headed dragon from Quest for Camelot
- Mushu - From Disney's Mulan
- Joanna - Rescuers Down Under
- Bing - Angry Beavers
- Gex - Character from the video game Gex
- Norbert - Harry Potter
- Puff - Puff the Magic Dragon
- Toothless - How to Train Your Dragon
- Stormfly- How to Train Your Dragon
- Rango- Rango
- Randall - Monsters Inc.
- Sisu - Raya and the Last Dragon
Famous People Who Wore Beards
Of course, you can also name your pet a cute dragon name based solely on its beard.
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Chuck Norris
- Sean Connery
- Frederick Douglass
- Sigmund Freud
- Ulysses S. Grant
- Zeus - mythological
- ZZ Top - Any member
- Lettie Lutz - Bearded woman from The Greatest Showman
More Inspiration for Cool Bearded Dragon Names
If you haven't found a name yet that suits your fancy, you might want to consider some other categories and see what you can come up with. Some themes to look at might include:
Don't Rush to Choose a Name for Your Bearded Dragon
Bearded dragons can live as long as 12 years. Take your time and choose a name you're going to love calling your pet for the next decade or more. Why not try out a few of these great bearded dragon names to see which one suits your companion? While your beardie might not come when called, you'll both know when you've found the perfect pet name.