If you're looking for a creative name for your new pet, have a look at our list of English Bulldog names for ideas. You'll be able to come up with a puppy name that fits your dog and communicates to the rest of the world that they are one-of-a-kind.
Names for Strong Male English Bulldogs
With their muscular bodies and adorable squinched faces, male English Bulldogs need names that are strong and cute at the same time. Consider these great male name options inspired by the breed's strength:
- Angus - a Gaelic name for "strong one"
- Denzell - a Cornish name meaning "from the stronghold"
- Fergus - a Scottish name for "forceful one"
- Fort - a French name for "strong"
- Kenzo - a Japanese name for "strong and healthy"
- Monte - a Norman name for "man of strength"
- Ragnar - a Norse name for "warrior"
- Uzi - a Hebrew name for "strength in God"
- Zeke - a Hebrew name for "strengthened by God"
- Zeus - a Greek name for the most powerful god
Tough Names for Female English Bulldogs
Female English Bulldogs are powerful, too. The perfect name can be one that celebrates power and femininity at the same time. Try one of these creative female dog names:
- Audrey - a French name for "noble strength"
- Bridget - an Irish name that means "power and life strength"
- Gertrude - a German name that means "spear of strength"
- Lenna - an old German name meaning "strength of a lion"
- Maliha - a Muslim name for "beautiful strength"
- Mildred - an English name for "gentle power"
- Philomena - a Greek name meaning "lover of the strong"
- Tetsu - A Japanese name that means "as strong as iron"
- Valda - a German name for "powerful ruler"
- Valencia - a Spanish name for "strong and brave"
Royal Names for English Bulldogs
There's no doubt your English Bulldog is a prince or princess to you, and naming your pet after royalty is a great way to celebrate that special status. Choose a name inspired by famous British kings, queens, and other royals:
- Elizabeth - after Queen Elizabeth, the powerful and popular queen of the Shakespearean era
- Alfred - after Alfred the Great
- Anne - after Queen Anne, a monarch of the 1700s
- Richard - after Richard the Lionheart
- Henry - after Henry VIII, famous for his many wives
- George - after George III, king during the American revolution
- Lady Jane Grey - de facto queen for nine days in the 1500s
- William - after William the Conqueror
- Mary - after Mary, Queen of Scots
- Victoria - after Queen Victoria, ruler during the Victorian age
Funny English Bulldog Names
- Jelly Roll
- Dump Truck
Color-Inspired Names for English Bulldogs
You can also use your Bulldog's color to inspire a clever name. There are lots of great color name ideas.
These names are perfect for white Bulldogs:
- Powder Puff
With their soft tan coloring, fawn Bulldogs seem to ask for names like these:
If you have a red Bulldog, one of these names could be ideal:
- Hot Sauce
Brindle and Multi-Color Bulldogs
Many English Bulldogs have multiple colors in their coats, and this coloration can inspire some great names:
One-Syllable English Bulldog Names
Some dogs take well to a one-syllable name, whereas others are trained better with two or more syllables. You can try out a one-syllable name and see if your dog takes well to it. If you want to keep your English Bulldog's name to one syllable, try these ideas and try to think of something cute to add consistently to the end of it:
Movie-Inspired English Bulldog Names
If you're searching for a movie-inspired dog name, there are plenty to choose from. Try to think of what you consider to be the best movies of all time, jot down the names, and see if any have a spark. Alternatively, you can consider the following names:
- Yoda - Star Wars
- Maverick - Top Gun
- Scarlett - Gone With the Wind
- Vito - The Godfather
- Milo - The Mask
- Stitch - Lilo & Stitch
- Simba - The Lion King
- Atticus - To Kill a Mockingbird
Disney-Inspired Dog Names
There's no shortage of dogs in Disney's classics. Name your dog after one of Disney's beloved dogs or other creatures found within Disney's vast collection.
- Pongo - 101 Dalmatians
- Lady - Lady and the Tramp
- Woody - Toy Story
- Gaston - Beauty and the Beast
- Mufasa - The Lion King
Book-Inspired Dog Names
For those who love reading, book-inspired dog names may be the way to go.
Dog Names Based on Cities
Dog names based on cities are gaining traction, especially for those who love to travel. If you plan on traveling a lot, or simply adore adventure, these names may be for you.
- Houston - Texas
- York - New York City
- Charlotte - North Carolina
- Antonio - San Antonio
- Philly - Philadelphia
- Diego - San Diego
- Dallas - Texas
- Phoenix - Arizona
- Orlando - Florida
- Honolulu - Hawaii
Follow Your Instincts
No matter what you choose to name your new pet, remember that the best dog name is one that just seems right to you. Follow your instincts and choose the name you love. Take some time and practice saying it out loud. Once you have decided on a name or two, try them out on your puppy to see what they think. If it sticks, you know you have found the right one.