If you like to enjoy a little comic relief with your pets, forget traditional puppy names and look for the funniest dog names you can find. When you introduce your dog to friends in person, or post about them on social media, you'll be rewarded with laughter, and applauded for your creativity. Move over, Rover: These funny dog names make memorable monikers.
Punny Pup Names
Everybody loves a solid pun. Consider naming your furry friend something that plays on a well-known celebrity or character name. There are so many iconic names that you can easily give a canine twist.
Punny Pup Names for Female Dogs
These female pup name puns will have everyone at the dog park slow clapping when you call your dog's name.
- Dolly Pawrton - After famous icon Dolly Parton
- Queen Latifur
- Mary Puppins
- Katy Pawry
- Woofie Goldberg
- Olivia Chewton John - A tribute to Olivia Newton John well-known from Grease
- Sarah Jessica Barker - So great if you have a cat named Kim Cat-tral after the cast from Sex and the City
- Virginia Woof - Literature buffs, go ahead and fall all over yourselves here
- Jennifur Aniston
- J.K. Howling - After J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series
- Pawdrey Hepburn
- Paw-ris Hilton
- Vera Fang
- Bone Crawford
- Madogna - Play on Madonna
Punny Pup Names for Male Dogs
Your dog needs a name that complements his bubbly, boisterous personality. These puny puppy names are perfect choices for a funny fur baby.
- Lick Jaggar
- Tupac Shak-fur
- Mrs. Doubtfur
- Winnie the Pooch
- Bilbo Waggins
- Indiana Bones
- George Clawney
- Will Furrell
- Harry Paw-ter
- Lick Perry - Rest in peace to Luke, a 90s icon
- Bark Twain
- Mutt-hammad Ali
- Ricky Pawbby
- Brad Pittbull - Breed specific, but still so funny
- Jason Mutt-Moa - For the dreamiest dog on the block
- Jim Hairy
- Harrison Furd
- Christian Lou - Bichon Frise - For a fancy little fellow
- Charles Barkley
- Paw-trick Swayze
- Zac Efuron
- Al Pupcino
- Kanye Westie
- Furt Reynolds
- Bill Furry
- Phillip Seymore Ruffman
- Jason Biteman
- Mis-fur Miyagi
Funny Names for Dogs By Breed
Some dog breeds beg for a funny name. These popular dog breeds give owners tons of smile-inducing names to choose from.
Funny Names for an English Bulldog, Pug, or Shar-Pei
Short legs, a round body, and a wrinkly face and body should be your inspiration in picking out a funny name for an English Bulldog, Pug, or other wrinkly breed.
- Pleat - After folds in a garment
- Pumba - Warthog from The Lion King
- Ms. Piggy
- Jabba the Mutt - After Jabba the Hutt from Star Wars
Rip Van Wrinkle
Hilarious Names for a Hairless Dog
Hairless canines are kind of funny-looking, so of course, they need names that jibe with their unique appearance and style. Be ironic with your choices or go for the obvious, whichever floats your boat.
Chuckle-Worthy Chihuahua Names
When it comes to small dogs with big personalities, Chihuahuas are kings and queens. Play on the Chihuahua's roots and all things related to the iconic breed with one of these names.
- Dinky - The name of the first Taco Bell dog
- Don Julio - The king of all tequilas
- Primo - The little furball isn't your cousin, but they are your fur family, nonetheless
- Ruidosa - Means loud in Spanish. Anyone with a Chihuahua will tell you this is about the most accurate breed name ever
- Jefe - because everyone knows who the boss is
- Picante Pedro - Means Spicy Pete
- Chewy Vuitton
- Jimmy Chew-huahua
- Bruiser - Elle Wood's dog in Legally Blonde. You must purchase a puppy purse if you name your dog Bruiser. This is non-negotiable
Ironic Dog Names For Canines of All-Sizes
Does your big dog seem scared of their own shadow? Is your miniature pup known for their tiny figure and huge personality? Choose one of these ironic names for your dog.
Ironic Names for Small Dogs
These hilarious names are ideal for pint-sized breeds with the big barks.
- The Hulk - Giant, green superhero
- Thor - The Marvel superhero
- Rambo - Ruthless hero
- Hercules - Greek god famous for his strength
- Chuck Norris - A dainty Yorkie named Chuck Norris? Yep. Doing it
- Godzilla or Dogzilla - A prehistoric sea monster
- Vin Diesel - Muscular actor from The Fast and the Furious series
Ironic Names for Large Breed Dogs
Just because your dog is huge and looming doesn't mean they aren't a furry ball of love and snugs. Give your seemingly ferocious beast a name that is anything but scary.
- Kitty - For your sweet-as-sugar, 100-pound Rottweiler
- Tinkerbell - Imagine, a Bull Mastiff named Tinkerbell
- Pup Tart
Names for Your Dog Gang
If you have more than one dog, these pack names are perfectly adorable and so funny.
- Fleetwood Pack - Perfect for a female dog named Stevie Licks (after the great Stevie Nicks) and a male dog named Lindsay Barkingham (after Lindsay Buckingham)
Red Hot Chili Puppers - Another name for your pack, and dogs can be Anthony, Chad and Flea (the actual names of Red Hot Chili Peppers band members)
Bark Sabbath - Great for a pack of very fierce-looking canines that are actually total sweethearts
Simon and Barkfunkle
Chewy Lewis and the Drools - Spoof on Huey Lewis and the News
Smashing Pupkins - Channeling all inner grunge with a lead singer dog named Billy Corgi
Nine Inch Tails
Kim Kardogshian and Kanye Westie - Perfect for two pups who are beautiful and have a beef with each other
Fur-iends - Corgi Cox, Mutthew Perry, Jennifur Anister after the Friends sitcom
Barky-Bark and the Furry Bunch - Laughing. Out. Loud.
Mutticia, Pugsley, and Growl-mez - Addams family members Morticia, Pugsley, and Gomez
Mutt Damon and Ben Aff-lick
Epic Dog Names That Deserve a Standing Ovation
Sometimes a dog name is just too good to pass up. These names are some favorites. They are full of personality and let everyone know that the animal's owner is basically a naming genius.
- Notorious D.O.G. - Biggie would be proud
- Snoop Dog - Enough said
- Little Bow Wow
- Cookie Monster
- Sir Lick-a-Lot
- Santa's Little Helper - Nod to The Simpsons
- Winnie the Pooch
Fonzie - After the iconic character on Happy Days
Funny Names for Funny Dogs
Choosing a puppy name is never easy because there are so many great options. The best dog names are the ones that mean something to the owners. When it comes to picking your pup's funny name, settle on something that makes you smile every time you say it.