Bringing home a large dog means more love, more fun, and more opportunities to pick the perfect name. Whether your new dog is gifted in height or girth, it can be fun to give them a moniker that celebrates their size. Consider these big dog names for your massive pup.
Descriptive Names for Big Dogs
Many big dogs are members of large breeds, such as the Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, German Shepherd Dog, among others. Whatever your dog's genetic background, celebrate their great size with a name that describes just how big and powerful they are.
Big Dog Names After Famous Giants
From Norse mythology to Harry Potter, there are several legendary giants. Honor your gigantic dog's size by giving them the name of one of these giants.
- Andre: Dubbed Andre the Giant due to his large size, this modern giant was a professional wrestler and actor. His name means "warrior" in French.
- Atlas: A figure from Greek Mythology, this giant was condemned to hold up the sky. The name Atlas means "enduring."
- Balor: An Irish mythological giant with only one eye -- great for a large dog missing an eye!
- Goliath: The biblical giant defeated by David.
- Hagrid: The fictional half-giant from Harry Potter is a fan favorite.
- Hulk: This name, after the large green superhero, would be perfect for any large dog.
- Oni: A giant known from Japanese folklore.
- Orion: Placed among the stars as the iconic constellation, this giant was a huntsman.
- Polyphemus: Another one-eyed giant (Cyclopes) well-known from the Odyssey.
Big Dog Names Bursting with Personality
Some names just suit a large dog (or one with an equally grand personality). Try one of these names on for size.
- King Kong
- Oso or Osa
Names Inspired by Large Fictional Dogs
Television shows and movies have long featured large dog breeds like the Great Dane and Saint Bernard. You could pick one of these popular fictional dogs to name your new companion after.
- Astro (The Jetsons)
- Beethoven (Beethoven)
- Clifford (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
- Goofy (Disney)
- Marmaduke (Marmaduke)
- Pluto (Disney)
- Scooby (Scooby-Doo)
Ironic Names for Big Dogs
Instead of highlighting your dog's large size, you could pick an ironic name that means the exact opposite. Any of these monikers would be a hilarious choice for your big dog.
Big Dog Names After Professional Athletes
Have you considered naming your dog after an equally large athlete? Check out the names of basketball stars, football players, and WWE wrestlers for inspiration. You could use just the first name, last name, both, or even their stage name.
- Alejandro Villeneuve (NFL player)
- Bol Bol (NBA player)
- Charles Barkley (former NBA player)
- Chyna (WWE wrestler)
- Dennis Rodman (former NBA player)
- Dikembe Mutombo (former NBA player)
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (former WWE wrestler)
- Dwyane Wade (former NBA player)
- The Great Khali (former WWE wrestler)
- John Cena (WWE wrestler)
- Jorge "El Gigante" Gonzalez (WWE and basketball player)
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (former NBA player)
- King Dunlap (former NFL player)
- LeBron James (NBA player)
- Magic Johnson (former NBA player)
- Margo Dydek (WMBA player)
- Mekhi Becton (NFL player)
- Michael Jordan (former NBA player)
- Rey Mysterio (WWE wrestler)
- Robert Griffin (NFL player)
- Scottie Pippen (former NBA player)
- Shaquille O'Neal (former NBA player)
- Tacko Fall (NBA player)
- Triple H (WWE wrestler)
- Undertaker (WWE wrestler)
- Yao Ming (NBA player)
A Huge Selection of Big Dog Names
Having a dog of unusual size can open the doors to dozens of unique size-related names. Use these great ideas for inspiration. You could even consider choosing one and adding a royal name title. For example, "Countess Crusher" has a nice ring to it! Get creative when picking the perfect name for your big dog.