Dive into the doggy dazzle of the Thanksgiving National Dog Show, where the showstoppers aren't just the fur but the fabulous names! Last year's champ, the tongue-twisting GCHP Fox Canyon’s I Won The War at Goldshield CGCA CGCU TKN, aka Winston, proves that a top pup deserves a top-tier name. Get ready for the competition, or get inspired to name your own top pup with the best show dog names around — and some names that really should be.
Best National Dog Show Winner Names
Not only did these dogs go home with Best in Show at the National Dog Show, but they also had some showstopping names. Along with their full registered name, you’ll also see their call name.
- GCHP Goodspice Efbe Money Stache (aka Stache)
- GCHP Fox Canyon’s I Won The War at Goldshield CGCA CGCU TKN (aka Winston)
- CH Rocky Top’s Sundance Kid (aka Rufus)
- GCH Afterall Painting the Sky (aka Sky)
- GCH CH Steele Your Heart (aka Eira)
- GCHP Pinnacle Tennesee Whiskey (aka Whiskey)
- GCH CH Cragsmoor Good Time Charlie (aka Charlie)
- GCH Grand Cru Giaconda CGC (aka Gia)
- GCH Foxcliffe Claire Randall Fraser (aka Claire)
- GCHG Diamond Gold Majesu Pisko Bulls (aka Thor)
- CH Soletrader Buddy Holly (aka Buddy)
- Multi-BIS/Multi-BISS GCH Somerset Wynzall Hashtag (aka Newton)
- GCH Roundtown Mercedes of Maryscot (aka Sadie)
- GCH Kiarry’s Pandora’s Box (aka Jewel)
- GCH Flessner’s International S’Cess (aka Nathan)
- CH Buff Cap Creslane Arctic Mist (aka Swizzle)
More Famous Show Dog Names You’ll Love
Crufts, Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, and the AKC National Championship are a few other dog shows these champion dogs compete in. We scoured the entrant lists and found some of the best and most unique names. Which one is your favorite?
- GCHB CH Tivio’s Some Like It Hot (aka Hazel)
- GCH CH Apex’s Time to Face the Truth CGC (aka Face)
- GCHB CH Flessner’s Toot My Own Horn (aka Trumpet)
- Am GCH Kan Trace Very Cheeky Chic (aka Orca)
- CH Planet Waves Forever Young Daydream Believers (aka Dylan)
- GCHG CH Pequest Wasabi (aka Wasabi)
- CH Warren Remedy (aka Warren)
- CH Almanza Backseat Drive (aka Baxer)
- CH My Own Brucie (aka Brucie)
- CH Clussexx Three D Grinchy Glee (aka Stump)
- CH Afterglow Miami Ink (aka Miami)
- GCH CH Hammersmith Heathcliff Heathcliff CGCA TKN (aka Heathcliff)
- GCH Foxcliffe Hickory Wind (aka Hickory)
- CH McVan’s To Russia With Love (aka Knopa)
GCH CH Kiralia N Nanook’s Veni Vidi Vici (aka Star)
How Dog Show Names Work
All dogs who compete in shows have an official name, which is that super long and often very funny name you see pop up on the screen as they strut their stuff. They usually include the dog’s kennel name at the beginning, then whatever combination of names or phrases their owner picked.
But all dogs also have a call name that they’re typically called by. This is a short name that’s sometimes a shortened version of their registered name, like Spot or Frank, or — sometimes — it’s completely different.
GCH what and BIS who?? All those extra letters before and after show dog names mean something. “BIS” means Best in Show, whereas “GCH” is Grand Champion.
Incredible Names Fit for Show Dogs (or Any Pet)
Even if you don’t plan to show or compete with your dog, that doesn’t mean you can’t give them a name fit for a show dog. Get creative and fabricate a long “official” name for your new pup. Then, pick a nickname to use as their call name.
Some ideas I had include:
- Regalia Ivory Icicle’s Impression
- Diamond Diva’s Delight
- Pearly Passion Say It’s Not So
- Rock Paper Scissors You Lose
- Platinum Solstice’s Onyx
- Flonkerton’s Regal Delight’s Dazzler
- Opal You’re Perfect, Now Change
- Get Outta My Dreams Neapolitan Ice Cream
- Belle’s Brilliance Victory
- Rubber Ducky Super Bath Time
- Royal Highness No More Jokes
- Cookie Butter Brownie of My Dreams
Funny & Punny Show Dog Names
A lot of the best show dog names involve song titles, sayings, or just interesting phrases. Perhaps we could convince a show dog owner that one of the following is worthy of a champion? With a little sense of humor, you’ll find these pun names pawsitively howlarious.
- Meet Me at Fenway Bark
- Luminous Total Eclipse of the Bark
- Pink Floyd's Bark Side of the Moon
- Triumphant Living the Pug Life
- Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Bark
- Barking Up the Right Tree
- King of Barkingham Palace
- Are You Afraid of the Bark?
- Curse of the Labracadabrador
- Bark Twain’s Adventures of Tom Swayer
- Belt It Like Barkbra Streisand
- Sarah Jessica Barker & the City
- Forever Telling Tall Tails
- Not a Puppy, Not Yet a Dog
Make it a Game on Game Day
It’s hard to pick a favorite show dog name when they’re all great contenders. Why not make a game out of it? While watching the National Dog Show with your friends or family, try to guess how many words or syllables the next competitor’s official name will have. Or try to guess their call name based on their registered name. It’ll be tricky but tons of fun!