Ever find yourself stuck in the never-ending loop of finding that perfect name for your new furry friend? We’ve all been there! After all, this is the name you'll be calling your dog for the rest of their life. It's a pretty big deal. If your heart is set on a magnificent moniker that starts with the letter M, don't fret. There are plenty of dog names that start with M to choose from.
Evergreen Dog Names That Start With M
If you're looking for names that have stood the test of time, you're in luck. These timeless choices are popular for a reason — they’re simple, sweet, and suit just about any breed. And the best part is they'll never go out of style.
Disney-Pixar M Dogs Names
When I'm looking for names, one of my favorite places to search comes from my childhood. And let's just say it — Disney played a big role for a lot of us. Reminiscing can come in the form of naming our pooch after our favorite childhood film.
- Maid Marian: From Robin Hood
- Mal: From Descendants
- Mallymkun: The Dormouse from Alice in Wonderland
- Marahute: The eagle from The Rescuers Down Under
- March Hare: From Alice in Wonderland
- Marie: The adorable kitten from The Aristocats
- Marlin: Nemo's father from Finding Nemo
- Marshmallow: The snow monster from Frozen
- Max: Prince Eric’s dog from The Little Mermaid
- Maximus: The horse from Tangled
- Mayor Lionheart: From Zootopia
- Meeko: Pocahontas’s raccoon friend from Pocahontas
- Meg (Megara): From Hercules
- Merida: The main character from Brave
- Merryweather: One of the fairies from Sleeping Beauty
- Michael Darling: From Peter Pan
- Mike Wazowski: From Monsters, Inc.
- Miss Bianca: From The Rescuers
- Moana: The main character from Moana
- Mochi: The cat from Big Hero 6
- Mowgli: The boy raised by wolves from The Jungle Book
- Mr. Incredible: The father figure from The Incredibles
- Mrs. Potts: The teapot from Beauty and the Beast
- Mufasa: Simba's father from The Lion King
- Mulan: The main character from Mulan
- Mushu: Mulan’s dragon companion from Mulan
- Music: One of Cinderella’s mice friends from Cinderella
- Myrtle Edmonds: From Lilo & Stitch
- Mystery: The seahorse from SpongeBob SquarePants
- Maui: The demigod from Moana
If you have a different movie you loved, even if it wasn't in your childhood days, take a look at the characters and cast to see if anything sparks your interest.
Dogs in Show Business
Another option is choosing a name from a dog movie. It just makes sense, right? What's cooler than naming our own dog after a famous one?
- Maddy: From Snow Dogs
- Marmaduke: From the comic strip and movie Marmaduke
- McLovin: The character from Superbad.
- Mimi: The teacup Chihuahua from The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
- Missy: The shih tzu from The Interview
- Mitsy: From The Dog Who Saved Christmas
- Mongo: The large, friendly old English sheepdog in Beverly Hills Chihuahua
- Monto: From Disney's live-action Lady and the Tramp
- Mooch: From Lady and the Tramp II
- Mother Teresa: From Must Love Dogs
- Mr. Peanutbutter: From the animated series BoJack Horseman
- Muffin: The Maltese dog from the series Sex and the City
- Muffit: From Battlestar Galactica
- Mush: From the animated series Balto
- Mutley: The dog with a snickering laugh from Wacky Races
Majestic M Names From Pop Culture
If you're looking for a touch of fame, consider names inspired by celebrities and characters. Look to your favorite actors, singers, and songwriters. If you want a conversation starter, you can even choose a name from way back when. A has-been celebrity is sure to spark some comments.
- Maddie: Named after the talented dancer Maddie Ziegler.
- Madonna: For pups with a bit of a diva streak, named after the Queen of Pop.
- Magneto: For fans of the X-Men series.
- Major: Inspired by Major Tom, the character from David Bowie’s songs.
- Mako: Named after Mako Mori from Pacific Rim.
- Malfoy: For Harry Potter enthusiasts.
- Mando: Short for Mandalorian, for Star Wars fans.
- Marge: Inspired by Marge Simpson from The Simpsons.
- Marilyn: Inspired by Marilyn Monroe.
- Mario: For the playful pup, named after the famous video game character.
- Marley: From the movie Marley & Me.
- Marshall: Marshall Mathers a.k.a. Eminem.
- Marty: Inspired by Marty McFly from Back to the Future.
- Marvel: A super name for a superhero dog!
- Matrix: For fans of the sci-fi movie series.
- Matilda: The main character from Roald Dahl’s book and the movie.
- Maverick: Inspired by the character from Top Gun.
- Maximus: For a brave dog, named after the character from Gladiator.
- Maya: Named after Maya Rudolph, the talented actress and comedian.
- McFly: Another nod to Back to the Future.
- McQueen: For pups with style, named after fashion designer Alexander McQueen.
- Mia: Inspired by Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction.
- Michonne: For fans of The Walking Dead.
- Milo: Named after the dog in The Mask.
- Mimosa: For the brunch lovers, named after the famous drink.
- Minerva: For the wise pup, named after Professor McGonagall in Harry Potter.
- Moose: The Jack Russell Terrier who played Eddie in Frasier
- Morpheus: A character from The Matrix.
- Murry: The Shepherd mix from Mad About You
Take a few minutes to listen to songs on YouTube or the radio, watch a couple of your favorite movies, and see which famous personality suits your dog's character.
Picking the Best Name
Choosing a dog name that starts with M can be a delightful experience, especially with such a diverse range of options. From pop culture to the classics, there’s an M name that’s just right for your dog’s unique personality. Just think about who your dog is as an individual and go from there. You'll know when you've hit the right one.