There's no denying that an exposed litter box can wreak havoc with the decor of your room; however, there are a number of litter box furniture options that can help hide your cat's potty while still enhancing the beauty of your decor. These are ideal if you keep the litter box in a living room, hallway, or other commonly used area.
Designer Pet Products Litter Box Enclosure
The Designer Pet Products Litter Box Enclosure doubles as an attractive end table. This model comes in three finishes to match any decor: white, espresso, and black. On one end, a curved entrance hole allows the cat to access his box, and a lift-up lid makes it easy to clean out the litter box. This clever design features a vestibule that reduces litter debris outside the box and allows you to store litter box supplies right where you need them. This piece is about 29-inches long, 21-inches wide, and 21-inches high. It holds a large, open litter pan and retails for between $120 and $160.
This enclosure received great reviews from consumers at Petsmart, who cited the following advantages:
- Easy to assemble
- Attractive and fits with most decor
- Cat-approved design
- Vestibule to keep cat litter off the floor
Petsmart reviewers did have a few concerns:
- Questionable construction quality, meaning it can't be used as a bench or support much weight
- Unclear assembly instructions
- Heavy shipping box
Merry Pet Litter Box Washroom Bench
The Merry Pet Litter Box Washroom Bench, available from Lowe's, is another great choice for hiding a litter box in a functional piece of furniture. The bench is 37.5-inches wide, 21-inches tall and 21-inches deep. Its attractive, white finish matches most decorating styles, and the manufacturer says it's large enough to handle a self-cleaning litter pan or other large box. The front opens using two cupboard doors, making it easy to use the top as a seat. It also has a partition wall that can be added to create a separate compartment for storing litter and other supplies. This model retails for about $230.
This bench is also sold at Petco, where users rated it very highly for the following reasons:
- Easy to assemble, especially if there's someone to help
- Very sturdy
- Attractive way to disguise litter box
- Roomy, even for large cats
Petco users had the following complaints about this bench:
- Questionable quality, especially when holding up a lot of weight
- Hard to put together if you have only one person
Pet Studio MDF Litter Box Cat Cabinet
The Pet Studio MDF Litter Box Cat Cabinet, available from Sears, offers another style of hidden litter box storage. This cabinet, which measures 28-inches wide, 19-inches deep, and 24-inches high, doubles as a TV stand or credenza. An arched entrance hole in the side gives the kitty access to the litter box. Two cabinet doors open in the front, allowing easy cleaning, and a shallow drawer stores everything you need to keep the litter box tidy. It retails for about $220.
This cabinet is very popular on Amazon.com, where users have given it four out of five stars. Reviewers praised this design for several reasons:
- Attractive, practical design
- Great for cats that are finicky
- Spacious inside
- Clear assembly instructions
Amazon.com reviewers had these complaints:
- Cat urine soaking into MDF material
- Not durable enough
- May not be a good value for the price
- Inability to choose placement of entrance hole
Petco Cat Litter Box Storage Ottoman
The Petco Cat Litter Box Storage Ottoman offers a private place for your cat to do his business and provides a functional piece of furniture at the same time. The ottoman is 36-inches long, 20-inches deep, and 19-inches high and is covered in a dark brown faux leather. It includes storage for the litter and scoop, as well as a roomy, plastic-lined interior to fit more litter boxes. The top opens to allow cleaning. This ottoman retails for about $80.
Users on Petco and Amazon.com had many positive things to say about the ottoman:
- Very sturdy, capable of supporting a seated adult
- Plenty of space for supplies
- Acceptable to cats
- Minimizes scattered litter
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to clean
- Good value
Petco and Amazon.com reviewers had the following concerns:
- Unpleasant plastic odor from vinyl covering
- Too dark inside for cat
- Lining not easy to clean
Modern Cat Designs Litter Box Hider
The Modern Cat Designs Litter Box Hider looks like an elegant piece of contemporary furniture, but it actually conceals a cat box. The cube shape makes it great for use as an end table, printer stand, or nightstand. It has chrome accents and comes in glossy white or mahogany brown. It also features a hook for storing the litter box scoop inside the cabinet. This unit is 21.5-inches long, 18.5-inches wide and about 21-inches high. It retails for about $200.
Users on Amazon.com praised the unit for a number of reasons:
- Very attractive and modern
- High quality construction
- Easy to clean
Amazon.com reviews expressed the following concerns:
- Fits only a smaller-sized litter box
- Challenging to assemble
Make a Hidden Box
You'll have no trouble finding litter box furniture that will match your decor and fit almost any type of cat litter box. However, if you already have a spare piece of furniture and want to adapt that into a hidden box, it is very easy to do so.
- First, make sure the furniture has easy entry access for litter changes and cleanup. A small cabinet with hinged doors works well, as does a bench with a flip-up top.
- Use a jigsaw to cut a hole in the side, top, or back of the furniture. A square opening is easiest to cut for most beginners. The hole should be large enough for your cat to easily enter and exit the cabinet. This will vary, but a general rule of thumb would be to cut out an eight-inch square. The top of the hole should be about 14 inches off the ground, but you can adjust this two or three inches lower for smaller or senior cats.
- Sand the edges of the hole to make sure it's safe for your kitty. Consider painting or staining the edges of the hole to make them match the finish of the piece.
- Add a litter pan to the inside of the cabinet to contain the litter.
An Instant Upgrade
Ultimately, as long as the piece is functional, you can select the one that best fits in with your decor. No matter which cat litter box furniture option you choose, you'll find that these pieces are an instant upgrade.